Sunday, June 2, 2013

Train Table Chalkboard

A few Christmases ago, the kids received a train table from Santa. It has two panels that flip over and on one side, they are both a green chalkboard and on the other sides one is a white erase board while the other is for chess/checkers. They still love it but the chalkboard side was cheaply made, neon green, and started peeling after only a few uses. So, the kids stopped using the chalkboard side.What a waste. So, I decided to repaint it. After ordering a can of  Rust-oleum Chalkboard Paint at our local hardware store, we were ready to go.

What we used:

Rust-oleum Chalkboard Paint (I chose BLACK but they did offer another color as well)
Sponge Brush
Wood Stick (for stirring the paint)
Newspaper
Chalk

Now What?

I chose to paint the panels while on our deck. So, I laid the panels on the newspapers there,  After opening the paint, I found that it took a lot of stirring to get it mixed evenly. Then I just painted the panels and left them to dry.

The paint recommends 4 hours between the first and second coat. Since I did this at night, I just waited until the next morning to paint it again. The paint then needs to dry for 3 days. Once the 3 days were over, I conditioned the panels by rubbing the side of a piece of chalk over the entire painted surfaces
and then wiped it off with a fabric wipe which will be used as the kids chalkboard eraser.




Before:
(of course I forgot to take a picture of it peeled and with chalk
 caked on it so this is from when they first got it.)

After:



No comments:

Post a Comment